With over one million international students, the United States is the world’s most popular destination for studying abroad. There are many great reasons for international students to study in the USA. First among them: options. You can choose from more than 5,000 at last count.
Every university is unique and has something special to offer, from first-class academics to international-friendly studies programs. Here are the top reasons—both in and out of the classroom—that students studying abroad choose to pursue an education in the US.
Almost half of the best global universities are located in the USA, according to U.S. News & World Report. From undergraduate studies to PhD-level programs, universities in the US offer top-ranked academic opportunities across all disciplines.
1. Cutting-edge technology From innovative research opportunities to internships with global corporations, American students enter the workforce with hands-on experience using the latest technology. The University of Central Florida, for instance, was named one of the top 10 innovative schools in the country and one of the best research universities.
2. Flexibility and variety Thanks to a broad-based liberal arts curriculum to skills-based programs geared toward employment, you can find a school in the US that fits your learning style and objectives. You will also find obscure minors and programs of study in the US, such as Oceanography & Coastal Science at Louisiana State University.
3. Learning from industry leaders Many classes at US universities are considered active learning environments—like the MakerSpace at Cleveland State University—and are taught by professors with years of experience working in their respective fields.
Support for International Students
Why study in the US? American international-friendly studies programs have proven their commitment to supporting international students. In addition to a world-class education, you will also receive the tools and assistance you need to make the most of it.
4. International student services office Counselors and support staff at the international student services office are experts at helping international students navigate university life. When you enroll at a Shorelight partner university, you get access to a suite of support services and additional programs. Our advisors help you understand the application process, handle visa questions, and help find you housing. After you’ve arrived on campus, they can guide you through orientation, class registration, and help you with tutoring services, culture shock, and other academic support.
5. Career support International students can work on campus, get internships with businesses off-campus, and hold research and training positions as graduate students. International-friendly studies programs—like Shorelight’s exclusive Career Accelerator Program—have career counselors experienced in helping study abroad students find your first internship and work experience positions on OPT or CPT.
6. Classes for international students Many international-friendly universities offer specialized courses to help international students like you adapt to college life and learn more about American culture. You will learn first-hand about American traditions and food, and maybe even get to take a field trip, attend sporting events, or visit historical sites.
Global Campus Life
7. Cultural diversity Studies programs in the US focus on cultural diversity, bringing together students from around the globe. At a university in the United States, you will have the opportunity to learn new languages, meet new friends, and experience new cultures, all while earning your degree.
8. Student clubs and campus organizations One powerful way to build connections with students from around the world is by joining a student club. You will see how their experience matches your own and make friends in the process.
9. A commitment to inclusion From the #youarewelcomehere campaign to departments focused on equality and inclusion, international-friendly universities in the United States are committed to providing opportunities, outreach, and programs and services to all campus members.
Speak with a Shorelight advisor today to start planning your next steps toward studying in the US >