Begin your academic journey with confidence with Shorelight’s Enrollment Services and learn more about the best ways to start your new journey in the US. Get support with visa guidance, travel arrangements, cultural orientations, and more.

Premium Enrollment Services

Make your transition to campus life easier with expert guidance on the visa process, making housing arrangements, and more.

  • Visa Application Guidance — Complete and submit your visa application on time with one-on-one assistance with Shorelight experts.

  • Visa Interview Preparation — Receive customized coaching and training sessions to successfully navigate your embassy or consulate visa appointment.

  • Enrollment Checklist — Go over everything you need to prepare for your campus arrival, including transcript submissions, language proficiency results, and other requirements.

  • University-specific Prep — Connect with university officials and campus teams, choose from flexible on-campus housing and dining options, plus get your questions answered during virtual events.

Standard Enrollment Services

Get ready for your new life on campus with informative enrollment and visa courses designed to help you obtain required documents and get familiar with life abroad.

  • Visa Interview Preparation — Prepare for your visa interview with online self-paced resources to practice interview questions and participate in mock interviews.

  • Health Insurance in the US Overview — Learn about the US health insurance system and which plans are available to international students.

  • Course Registration Preparation — Learn the basics of advising and the importance of proper course registration.

Add-On Enrollment Services

Enhance your study abroad experience with additional Enrollment Services covering dining, accommodations, health insurance, and more.

  • Deluxe HousingUpgrade your living arrangements with a range of off-campus apartment-style accommodations featuring premium amenities that suit your lifestyle.

  • Upgraded DiningEnjoy a wide range of add-on dining plans to suit your dietary needs and preferences.

  • Upgraded Bedding and Living EssentialsBegin life on campus with ready-on-arrival accommodations, featuring customizable bedding and apartment essentials.

  • Student Loans — Consult with expert loan officers and vendors for assistance with student loan applications and financing options.

  • Comprehensive Insurance Plans — Benefit from a range of health and property insurance plans that fit your needs and budget.

  • Exclusive Travel Offers — Utilize affordable and accessible deals for travel and insurance, exclusively available to international students.

  • SIM Card Setup — Connect with family and friends as soon as you land with pre-departure SIM card setup service.

  • US Bank Account Setup — Manage your finances with ease while studying abroad. Get expert guidance on setting up your bank account, completing paperwork, and more.

Ask an Advisor

Our education counselors help every step of the way, from application to arrival, at no additional cost to you.

  • Advice & research
  • Application & visa help
  • Pre-arrival info
  • No application fee

International Student 
Enrollment FAQs

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    How does a US student visa work?

    Generally, in most cases, you will be granted a F-1 student visa as a student visa, which allows you to enter the United States and study at an accredited university or an institution as a full-time student.

    A F-1 student visa generally allows you to work on campus and off-campus. However, a M-1 student visa does not allow you to work during your studies, but you can work full time in practical training after your studies have finished. Typically, your F-1 student visa is valid for the period it takes to complete your academic program. After the completion of the program, you have 60 days to depart the US. On a M-1 student visa, you can stay in the US during the time needed to complete your course and after completing the program, you have additional 30 days to depart the US. However, you can request for an extension using your F-1 student visa or M-1 student visa. 

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    Is there an age requirement for a US student visa?

    Both the F-1 student visa and M-1 student visa don’t have specific age requirements. If you are accepted to an accredited institution to attend your academic or vocational program, your age will not be a problem.

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    How long is a student visa?

    A F-1 student visa is valid for the period you are enrolled in your academic program — typically for five years from the starting date of the program. You will have an additional 60 days to depart the US after completing your program. However, you can request an OPT visa which allows you to work in the US for 12 months on a F-1 visa. If you have a STEM-related degree, you can request an extension of 24 months.

    A M-1 visa is also valid for the period you are enrolled in your vocational program, which is usually one year. If you require more than one year to complete your program or any practical training, you are required to contact your designated school official (DSO) to request an extension of stay, limited to a period of three years.

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    How can I get a student visa to study in the USA?

    First, you need to get accepted to a SEVP-certified US university. Once you are accepted, you will be granted an I-20 form which documents your study plans and provides supporting information about your stay in the US. Then, you need to pay the SEVIS fee. You are required to complete your DS-160 visa application, schedule your visa interview, and attend it.

    Learn more about how you can get a student visa on our Guide to US Visas for International Students. You can also read our guides on how to apply for a student visa for the US for students from India, Pakistan, or Mexico.

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    How much does a student visa cost?

    After being accepted to a US university, you must pay the $350 fee for a F-1 student visa or M-1 student visa to register your information in SEVIS. The visa application fee for a F-1 or M-1 visa is $160. 

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    Does a student visa allow you to work?

    Yes, if you have a F-1 student visa, you are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT visa) and optional practical training (OPT visa).

    You may be wondering what is the difference between CPT vs OPT? A CPT visa allows international students with a F-1 visa to gain practical experience related to their major through employment or cooperative (co-op) education before they graduate. An OPT visa lets international students work up to 12 months after graduation. If you have a STEM-related degree, you can apply to extend your OPT visa and work for an additional 24 months.

    If you are on a M-1 visa, you are allowed to work full time in practical training after completing your program. To be allowed to work, you are required to obtain your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or M-1 Visa Work Permit. To start this process, contact your Designated School Official (DSO).

  • Icons/dark/expand/round

    What other services does Shorelight offer?

    Shorelight offers a range of services designed for international students, including: