Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College Offers Unique Transfer Opportunities in Canada

Corpus Christi and St. Mark's College
advice for students
Let us help you find your best fit university!Find your school
By Kate H Knapp
Published on May 14, 2024

Experience the benefits of a small liberal arts school before transferring to one of the top universities in the world by studying at Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College in Vancouver, Canada.

Corpus Christi and St. Mark's College

A group of international students stand on stairs on the UBC campus in Vancouver and hold up a banner saying Welcome to Corpus Christi College

Get the benefits of attending a small liberal arts school while having access to big college amenities by studying at Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College, situated on the Vancouver, Canada, campus of the University of British Columbia (UBC) (#41, Times Higher Ed World Ranking; #35 Best Global University, U.S. News & World Report). Plus, students who enroll at Corpus Christi have the option to set up a transfer of credits directly to UBC or other universities. With so many options at Corpus Christi College available for international students, it’s not surprising that studying here is referred to as having the “best of both worlds.”

Why Choose Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College for Transfer?

With a prime location on UBC’s sprawling 400-hectare campus, Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College gives students the opportunity to study in a unique setting – a natural oasis within a big city. The campus, surrounded by forest and ocean, sits on the western tip of the Point Grey Peninsula and is just a 15-minute bus ride to downtown Vancouver, the world’s most liveable city,* and its major employers, internships, and cultural and outdoor attractions.

Corpus Christi is a Jesuit-endorsed institution that welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds. Here, any student will find a nurturing setting to “lead a life of deeper meaning, belonging, and purpose.”

Corpus Christi offers two-year associate’s degrees and the University Transfer Program, where students will earn recognized, transferrable credits that will allow them to continue to pursue a bachelor’s degree at UBC or another institution. Through St. Mark’s College, students can pursue MA degrees in Catholic Educational Leadership, Pastoral Studies, and Religious Education & Theological Studies. The University of British Columbia is a global research university, considered one of the top universities in the world.

With class sizes averaging 25 students, Corpus Christi gives students the opportunity to work more closely with instructors and receive greater personalized attention compared to larger institutions. Students are also welcome to explore other courses (and experience larger classes) by enrolling in courses as visiting students at UBC. Additionally, several faculty instructors are also UBC instructors who have chosen to teach courses at Corpus Christi in addition to their regular classes.

2+2 Transfer Opportunity - Transfer of Credits

Along with attending college on two campuses simultaneously, Corpus Christi students can also take advantage of transferring directly to UBC or another university after either one or two years of study. If students to choose to study for two years, they will also have the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree from Corpus Christi.

Corpus Christi course credits are accepted and recognized by UBC and many other universities.

If students transfer to UBC, they won’t have to go too far to settle in, as they will be studying on the same campus. The transition couldn’t be easier, because students likely have already taken courses, played a sport, and/or participated in clubs at UBC.

Student Experience at Corpus Christi-St. Marks College

With its main campus buildings located just a short walk from the UBC Student Recreation Centre, the AMS Student Nest (food courts), and the UBC Bus Loop, Corpus Christi College gives students easy access to all the benefits of studying at UBC.

Through its affiliation agreement with UBC, Corpus Christi students receive UBC library cards and U-Pass bus passes, and membership to the Alma Mater Society (AMS) at UBC, which offers tutoring, peer support, health services, and more. Students are also welcome to attend UBC events, participate in intramural sports, and join UBC clubs.

Moving to Canada after living in the Philippines all my life was tough, but after only one semester in Corpus Christi College, this school definitely made the transition a lot easier for me,” Annika, business major, Corpus Christi College

Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College celebrates diversity and welcomes students from around the world, with 25% of the student body being international. The school provides an International Peer Mentorship program that ensures international students feel at home. The program pairs Canadian students (mentors) with international students (mentees) to make the transition to a new country easier.

If you are an international student hoping to start your studies in Canada, then transfer to a top-ranked global university for your bachelor’s degree, Corpus Christi College in Vancouver may be an excellent choice to reach your goals.

Speak to a Shorelight advisor to learn more >

FAQs: Transfer Process and Admission Requirements

What documents do I need to provide prior to studying in Canada?

To study in Canada, you will need a valid passport; an admission letter from Corpus Christi College; proof of funds; and a temporary-resident visas (TRV) — only required by citizens of certain countries — and electronic travel authorization (ETA). A valid study permit is required for programs longer than six months, and applications can take up to three months to complete.

What do I need to get a Canadian student visa and study permit?

Students who enroll at Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College will need to secure a study permit, using the following process. Once admitted, students will gather and submit online:

  • A letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution (DLI)

  • An attestation letter [PAL] from the province or territory for study

  • As many of the documents needed for a complete application as possible (speak with your Shorelight advisor for specific details)

  • A letter of explanation for any documents that are missing due to COVID-19

Students can find more info on the Government of Canada immigration and citizenship website.

Are there housing options for international students on campus?

Yes, students can choose to stay at St. Andrew’s Hall or the Carey Centre on the UBC campus.

Can I transfer from another postsecondary institution?

Yes, students who have earned at least 24 transferable credits from another recognized postsecondary institution can transfer, while those with fewer credits will be evaluated on both high school and postsecondary transcripts before gaining admission.

Can students only transfer to UBC after leaving Corpus Christi?

No, students have many options for where to complete their undergraduate degree. While UBC is an easier transition for students (and many choose UBC for that reason), Corpus Christi students have successfully transferred to Bishop’s University, Emily Carr University of Art and Design, McGill University, Queen’s University, Simon Fraser University, St. Francis Xavier University, University of Toronto, and the University of Victoria in Canada; La Sorbonne in France; and Osaka University in Japan; among other global universities.

Do you have to be Catholic or Christian to attend Corpus Christi College?

No, students from all faiths and backgrounds are welcome to attend Corpus Christi.

Can I stay in Canada and work after graduation?

Yes - once you earn your associate of arts from Corpus Christi College, you are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from Corpus Christi with a two-year associate of arts degree to gain Canadian work experience.

Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry. Learn more on the Government of Canada immigration and citizenship website.

How many students are at Corpus Christi College?

Corpus Christi has a small community with approximately 450 students, set within the larger UBC campus.

How hard is it to get into UBC as a transfer student?

With the partnership between Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s and UBC, international students who have started their studies at Corpus may find a more seamless transfer experience to UBC. Speak with your education counselor for more specifics about the UBC transfer process.

Learn more about Corpus Christi-St. Mark’s College >

*Economist Intelligence Unit Global Liveability Index, 2023