Utah Global — Student Services DirectorSalt Lake City, Utah
Utah Global is a partnership between the University of Utah (Utah) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at Utah.
The Student Services Director (SSD) develops and leads all aspects of student services for international students enrolled in Utah Global programs and reports to the Managing Director. The main responsibility of the role is to design and implement a strategic plan to support Utah Global students’ academic engagement, social integration, and cross-cultural development in their new academic and social environment.
The SSD is a skilled team player who successfully develops support services catered to international students. The SSD is an experienced leader with an innovative approach to analysis, data- driven decision making, and problem solving. The SSD must leverage data and analysis to drive a strategic, high-impact student services organization in alignment with Utah Global objectives. The SSD also possesses heightened interpersonal and customer service skills, and leverages these skills to develop strategic relationships and work closely with university leaders and a range of administrators, partners, students, and parents. The SSD has a passion to deliver a high level of service to the students, and understand the holistic overlay of the academic, social, cultural, and emotional needs in the student life cycle.
• In partnership with Managing Director, Academic Director and Shorelight leadership, develop programs that guide, prepare, and motivate students toward degree completion
• Manage all Utah Global student services, including student housing and dining, pre-arrival communication, arrival support services such as airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, events calendar, coordination with university cultural associations, coordination of a student ambassador program and peer advising infrastructure, progression, matriculation, and the overall student experience
• Maximize student retention and progression through active student participation in the program’s events, holistic advising, and tutoring as well as encouraging engagement in university events and clubs/organizations to foster a sense of belonging
• Support Managing Director in the roll out of new program initiatives
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that is reflective of Shorelight’s values
• Liaise with and create mutually beneficial, scalable relationships with key contacts at the university, including the Managing Director, Academic Director, International Student Services, Campus Housing, Dining Services, Student Development & Enrollment Services, Office of Student Involvement, Office of the Registrar, and various other departments
• Foster external relations and partnerships that continually enhance the reputation and success of Utah Global
• Liaise with partnership Academic staff regularly to ensure effective and efficient processes to support student success such as tutoring structures, advising structures, students of concern communication and protocols etc.
Data and Technology
• Ensure that systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
• Leverage data and analysis to continually assess student success and satisfaction in order to create the best possible experience for students
• Bachelor’s degree
• 2-5 years’ experience in higher education or hospitality
• 2+ years’ experience working with students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
• Hands-on approach to academic delivery, customer service, and business growth
• Demonstrated exceptional leadership, flexibility, interpersonal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
• Complex problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities with heightened sense of accountability and ownership of all things related to students
• Strategic and tactical planning expertise
• Proven people and budget management skills
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
• Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
• Master’s degree
• Experience coordinating international student support services or leading customer experience programs
• Experience in program evaluation and assessment
• Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
• Experience planning and organizing events
• Experience working with class management tools and systems
• Knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic or Hindi
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Utah Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.