USC IAP — Career Accelerator Program AdvisorColumbia, South Carolina
The University of South Carolina International Accelerator Program (USC IAP) is a partnership between the University of South Carolina and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
University of South Carolina seeks a Career Accelerator Program (CAP) Advisor to work directly with students in career preparation and professional development activities. Reporting to the Career Accelerator Program Manager with a dotted line to the Director of the Career Accelerator, the CAP Advisor is responsible for conducting one-on-one career coaching appointments; teaching educational workshops, presentations, and career-related courses; coordinating career outreach programs and events; and working on special projects that address the career development needs of our students.
Successful candidates will be skilled team players who can successfully take ownership and accountability for career coaching, advising, and program development including collaboration with IAP staff and the USC Career Center to integrate with existing Academic, Student Support, and Career activities.
- Primary duty of the position is to assist students in navigating the career development, planning, and implementation process by leading students through the Undergraduate Career Accelerator program
- Design, present, and/or coordinate career-related workshops and classroom presentations with enthusiasm and creativity
- Conduct one-on-one progress and coaching sessions
- Work to continuously improve the Career Accelerator program experience
- Utilize discretion and independent judgment while working with confidential and sensitive student information during the career orientation, program adoption, and career coaching process
- Inspire change in students through instruction and guidance on how to reflect on previous experiences, make career-related decisions, and help increase career-related self-efficacy
- Liaise with all areas of the USC Career Center to include career development, experiential education, employer relations, and operations, ensuring that existing services are leveraged and integrated
- Coordinate with USC Career Center to:
- Conduct career exploration and experiential education activities such as job shadowing, externships, etc.
- Track participation of and contact with students and share relevant data with the Career Services team
- Manage Career Accelerator program materials including but not limited to:
- Salesforce student profiles
- Advising forms and progression trackers
- Appointment and workshop attendance
- Collaborate with Career Accelerator Program Manager, recommending additional workshops, presentations and tools that might enhance the student experience and learning journey
- Connect and maintain open channels of communication with campus leadership teams, key university-partner staff, and Shorelight Education colleagues
- Lead information sessions and opt-in processing for the Career Accelerator program,
- Ensure student preparedness for participation in career planning and major decision making
- Bachelor’s Degree with educational preparation in education, counseling, human resources, cross-cultural psychology, global studies, or related area
- One year of teaching, training, or group facilitation experience
- Experience working with international students and ability to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Technical aptitude and experience with spreadsheets and/or databases
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, oral communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- High energy level, confident and optimistic demeanor, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Organizational and long-range planning skills with the ability to handle numerous details
- Excellent time management, project management, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Results focus and strong management skills with the flexibility to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to publicly represent Shorelight and partner institutions at events and seminars
- Problem solving, decision-making, and creative thinking abilities
- Hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity
University of South Carolina IAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.