UOP International — ESL InstructorStockton, California
UOP International is a partnership between the University of the Pacific (UOP) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UOP.
UOP International is seeking full-time, year-round English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors to teach international students. This program combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation. ESL Instructors teach listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar skills at all levels in a university-based, intensive ESL program. Instructors also teach ESP courses, participate in extracurricular events, and assume responsibilities in materials development/coordination or other needed specialized areas.
12-month calendar year schedule and 9-month academic year schedule opportunities available.
• Teach English for Academic Purposes to international students enrolled in UOP International
• Work in a team environment with other instructors and the UOP International team to prepare, select, and use appropriate teaching and learning materials for international students (including the use of textbooks, in-house materials, and self-created materials)
• Develop relevant and appropriate lesson plans that align with specified learning outcomes
• Utilize effective teaching strategies that meet the individual needs of students
• Assess students and provide both formative and summative evaluations to a high standard
• Provide oral and written feedback to students and to relevant staff
• Provide out-of-class academic support for students
• Provide teaching cover in the absence of other colleagues
• Carry out administrative tasks associated with teaching and assessment, students’ academic progress reports, weekly grades, attendance, and record of work
• Participate in student events as appropriate, as an integral part of the teaching/learning program
• Participate in and contribute to orientation sessions
• Act as a positive ambassador for UOP International and University of the Pacific
• Participate in staff development and professional training as required
• Attend university and program meetings as required
• Master’s degree in TESOL or closely related field, such as (but not limited to) applied linguistics
• 2+ years of related experience, including one year in an academic ESL program, and excellent English ability
• Demonstrated flexibility and interpersonal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Proven customer service skills
• Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
• Demonstrable knowledge of applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language-teaching methodologies, assessment, and curriculum/lesson planning; TEFL certifications (CELTA, DELTA, Bridge, or Oxford)
• Overseas experience or experience teaching in multicultural/multilingual classrooms
• Competence in a foreign language
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight career page and submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
Background check required – Education, Criminal, Identity