University of the Pacific International — Managing DirectorStockton, California
University of the Pacific International is a partnership between the University of the Pacific (UOP) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UOP.
The Managing Director (MD) develops and leads accelerator programs for international students. The MD’s primary responsibility is to ensure a high-quality experience for all students in this specialized academic program. As the most senior member of the staff, the MD builds the partnership, provides strategic and ongoing leadership, and oversees day-to-day operations.
The successful candidate is a skilled manager who can successfully lead an innovative educational venture. The MD is committed to quality and to the specialized attention and guidance that international students require. The MD displays an entrepreneurial spirit to start this new venture, leading and inspiring others to do the same. He or she is a good strategic thinker with the capacity to see the big picture and attend to details. The MD must be a strong team player who can enthuse and galvanize colleagues around the institution’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Manage all operations, programs, and services, including finance, marketing, real estate, staff recruitment, and student services
- Ensure that the program retains students and guides, prepares, and motivates them to degree completion
- Oversee all functions including Academics, Student Services, and Admissions
- Ensure that systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
- Overall P&L responsibility, including budget management
- Hire partnership staff as partnership growth dictates
- Recruit, guide, and develop academic and administrative staff
- Liaise with key contacts at the university, the board of directors, and equity partners to set enrollment targets and oversee the student lifecycle
- Analyze data and reports on the progress of the program and achievement of objectives
- Foster external relationships and partnerships to enhance the profile and success of the program
- Ensure that the program adheres to the high standards of the university and continuously improves
- Represent the program internationally and domestically, including participation in marketing events and familiarization tours, and through memberships and affiliations
- Ensure academic integrity and compliance
- Display good judgment and common sense in all decisions relating to program operations
- Bachelor’s degree, with a master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience in management with strong team motivational skills
- Demonstrated P&L responsibility
- Proven ability to recruit, lead, motivate, coach, develop, and retain top academic and administrative staff
- Record of leadership delivering strategic, financial, and operational objectives
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to multitask and be attentive to details
- Exhibit a combination of insight, transparency, fairness, and commitment to the institution
- Understanding of student support services for international students
- Ability to network within higher education circles and command respect among academic leaders
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities
- Proven customer service skills
- Tact, patience, and diplomacy, particularly with non-native English speakers
- A truly international outlook, with the ability to work in a diverse environment and to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- High energy level and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Experience working within a joint venture and/or a highly matrixed organizational structure preferred
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
UOP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About University of the Pacific
As the oldest chartered university in California, the University of the Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates who are prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific’s small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day. University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with three distinct campuses united under one common goal: to educate and prepare the leaders of tomorrow through intensive academic study, experiential learning, and service to the community. Our Stockton campus is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco.
About Shorelight Education
Shorelight Education is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the U.S. or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally-minded alumni.