University of Illinois at Chicago Global – Student Services AdvisorChicago, Illinois
UIC Global is a partnership between the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UIC.
Student Services Advisors (SSAs) help to develop and support student service programs for international students at UIC Global. The primary responsibility of these individuals is to deliver high-quality extracurricular support experiences for program students, as well as academic support, guidance, and mentoring. Reporting to the Student Services Director (SSD), SSAs collaborate with the SSD on organizing key elements of holistic support for international students, including facilitating accommodations and airport transfers and providing academic support and acculturation services for students.
SSAs are energetic team players who can successfully execute support services tailored to international undergraduate and graduate UIC International students. SSAs must be committed to quality, possess excellent customer service skills, and possess the ability to focus their attention on individual students as each is guided through the program. Individuals in this position have the interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, university administration, and other stakeholders.
- Provide exceptional student services beginning with pre-arrival processes and orientation, including airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, weekly events, acculturation into the university, and management of the overall student experience
- Contribute to the design and delivery of services that provide a strong foundation for the students’ overall university experience
- Deliver exceptional customer service in areas of housing, airport arrival, program orientation, and all student advising and support services
- Contribute to student retention in UIC Global and guide, prepare, and motivate students toward successful undergraduate experiences and ultimate degree completion
- Develop key relationships with the university in the areas of the Office of International Services, Center for Student Involvement, tutoring, student clubs and extracurricular activities, and other programs
- Contribute to Facebook and other social media for new students
- Assist in the development and promotion of activities for student retention
- Assist in the design and implementation of incoming and ongoing orientation programs
- Assist in the socialization/acculturation programming for all students
- Maintain strong relationships with staff, recruiters, institutions, and students
- Help coordinate academic student satisfaction surveys and associated analyses, with an eye toward strategic planning of future retention activities
- Contribute to student services and operations, ensuring policies, systems, and procedures are followed and assisting in creating new processes
- Maintain accurate records and reporting for cohort of students
- Participate in student services events (e.g., airport arrival days, orientation, graduation), student activities, familiarization tours, and through relevant memberships and affiliations
- Demonstrate sound judgment and common sense in all decisions
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking skills
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high energy level
- Demonstrated hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs and databases
- Knowledge of student services within a higher education setting preferred
- Strong working knowledge of one or more of the following languages: Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese; proficiency preferred
- Evening and weekend work is required
- Eligible to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
UIC Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.