UIC Global — Student Services Manager Chicago, ILChicago, Illinois
UIC Global — Student Services Manager
UIC Global is a partnership between the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UIC.
The Student Services Manager (SSM) supports all aspects of student services for international students enrolled in UIC Global programs and reports to the Student Services Director (SSD). The main responsibility of this role is to carry out parts of a strategic plan that supports students’ academic engagement, social integration, and cross-cultural development in their new academic and social environments.
This skilled team player successfully implements support services catered to international students. The SSM is an entry-level manager role with an innovative approach to analysis, data–driven decision making, and problem solving. He or she understands the holistic overlay of the academic, social, and emotional needs in the student lifecycle. Having a hands-on approach to academic delivery, customer service, and business growth is essential to successful collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, university administrators, students, and parents.
• Assist SSD in developing programs that guide, prepare, and motivate students toward degree completion
• Oversee the student services team in delivering key service components of the student experience, including student housing and dining, pre-arrival communication, arrival support services, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, and the overall student experience
• Deliver exceptional customer service as part of the Signature Student Experiences
• Handle special student cases, including students experiencing significant personal and academic difficulties
• Teach first-year seminar course if applicable
• Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
• Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
• Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
• Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
Data and Technology
• Collaborate with the SSD and Academic Director (AD) on data collection and analysis
• Provide required data and information to internal and external stakeholders, with an eye toward strategically planning future retention activities and creating the best possible experience for students
• Contribute to student services operations to ensure that systems and procedures are followed, and technology is used to streamline systems and procedures; assist in the creation of new student services–related processes
• Bachelor’s degree
• 4 years’ experience in higher education or student-facing equivalent
• Proven people management skills
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
• Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
• Master’s degree
• Experience working with international students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity
• Experience in program evaluation and assessment
• Experience planning and organizing events
• Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
• Understanding of class management tools and systems
• Knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, or Hindi
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required – Education, Criminal, Identity
UIC Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.