UIC Global — Academic CoordinatorChicago, Illinois
UIC Global is a partnership between the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UIC.
The Academic Services Advisor (AC) provides support for the UIC Global Academic team. The position reports to the Academic Director. The AC works with students advising them on their academic life, helping them gain a general overview of requirements for their intended major and utilize academic support services. In addition, this person will work with UIC staff to help coordinate the academic support services and student advising. Lastly, the AC will provide support to the academic team in the areas of record keeping, scheduling, teaching, and relationship building with UIC.
- Coordinate the academic support services for UIC Global students with UIC’s Office of Academic Support
- Meet individually with students who are struggling academically and coordinate services as needed
- Organize an Advisor Fair with representatives from each school for UIC Global students every semester
- Register students in courses within the Banner system every semester for courses the following semester
- Develop and present workshops on study skills, plagiarism, library resources, and other academic topics
- Teach up to four sections of Live, Learn and Grow
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of extensive academic session at each orientation
- Work closely with the academic program officers within each school and major to ensure a coordinated advising and registration process as students’ progress
- Maintain academic records and statistics for students, including progression statistics, FERPA release forms, workshop attendance, notes from faculty, etc.
- Lead and guide committee meetings with stakeholders across the college, including faculty and staff
- Serve as UIC Global’s liaison to the Advisor’s Caucus
- Assist the Academic Director as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a related field
- 3–5 years working in an academic area in higher education as an instructor or academic advisor, or experience in a registrar’s office, academic, or related department
- Scheduling of courses, classrooms, and faculty
- Work effectively with students one on one and in small groups to share academic and curricular information; lead workshops
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Exemplary customer service skills and professionalism
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking skills
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Ability to work in a diverse environment that requires cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high energy level
- Demonstrated hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience with LMS and CRM software is preferred
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
UIC Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.