Shorelight Education — Senior CounselBoston, Massachusetts
Shorelight Education is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the United States or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally minded alumni.
The Senior Counsel is responsible for managing company-wide day-to-day legal matters. This non-traditional in-house role reports to the General Counsel and is based at Shorelight Headquarters in Boston. The Senior Counsel must have ten or more years’ relevant legal experience, a strong business acumen, strong negotiation skills, and direct management experience.
- Operate as a senior legal team member, working with and advising the company’s business teams on strategic legal matters
- Review, draft, and manage complex legal agreements, including joint venture agreements with flagship U.S. universities, enterprise technology contracts, and other commercial agreements
- Advise on employment law matters, privacy and data security, real estate, marketing, IP (TM, ©, and patent), technology licensing, and any other legal matters that arise
- Develop and implement company legal policies in a wide variety of areas and implement an effective compliance program, covering federal, state, local, and international regulations
- Ensure continued company-wide compliance by remaining informed of current and pending legislation
- Manage outside counsel in specialty areas including the company’s global expansion
- Manage the legal aspects of special transactions including financings, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Expertise in SEC filings, including registration statements, other Securities Act and Exchange Act filings, as well as advising on and ensuring compliance with securities-related regulatory matters such as Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank
- Initial Public Offering experience a plus
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and admission to a state bar required
- 10+ years of corporate experience in a major law firm or legal department, with expertise in securities, contracts, and compliance
- Ability to interpret and comprehend complex legal documents and ability to convey complex legal issues in clear and concise business terms
- Above average mathematical and reasoning skills
- Proven ability to supervise and develop junior team members
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to travel, frequently at times
- Hands-on experience working as a sole deal-maker or part of a small team is preferred
- Experience working in or with a multi-national company a plus
- Knowledge of FERPA, Title IV, Title IX, and other federal, state and accrediting matters affecting U.S. universities a plus
- Knowledge of I-17, I-20, F-1 and matters affecting international student visas a plus
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Shorelight Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.