Shorelight Education — DevOps EngineerBoston, Massachusetts
Shorelight Education is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the United States or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally minded alumni.
The DevOps Engineer is an experienced professional who deploys, automates, maintains, troubleshoots, and improves the systems that keep Shorelight’s application infrastructure running smoothly. The role requires hands-on technical experience and a can-do approach toward environment automation/management and continuous improvement. The role encompasses the use of a broad range of Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies, operating systems (Windows, Linux), and application environments (Express + Node.js, Tomcat Server, etc.), with an emphasis on the implementation of best practice cloud security principles.
- Deploy, automate, maintain, and manage AWS cloud-based production system
- Ensure the availability, performance, scalability, and security of production systems
- Build, release, and configuration management of production systems
- Pre-production Acceptance Testing to assure the quality of Shorelight’s products/services
- Troubleshoot and problem solve across platform and application domains
- Suggest architecture improvements and recommend process improvements
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products
- Ensure critical system security through the use of best in class cloud security solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or related field required
- 2+ years’ experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (g., EC2, RDS, ELB, EBD, S3, VPC, Glacier, IAM, Amazon WAF, KMS) to develop and maintain an Amazon AWS-based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security
- Solid experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24×7 uptime Amazon AWS/cloud environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools
- Strong scripting (e.g., Python) and deployment automation skills (Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience with Configuration Management software (Puppet, etc.)
- Experience with Windows and Linux system administration (RHEL/Ubuntu)
- Experience with system and infrastructure monitoring tools (e.g., Nagios)
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues
- Strong Object Oriented/Programming skills (Java or C++)
- Basic database administration experience (Oracle, SQL Server)
- Experience with Agile software development, project management methodologies
- Experience with release scheduling and version control and related tools (Jira, Confluence, etc.)
- Understanding of network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, SFTP, SMTP)
- Experience with Microsoft Azure a plus
- Strong technical, multitasking, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication, written communication, and presentation skills
- Eligibility to work in, and travel freely to and from, the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Shorelight Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.