Shorelight Education — Course Support SpecialistBoston, Massachusetts
Shorelight Education is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
The Course Support Specialist manages the ongoing support of the delivery of Shorelight Live courses. The Specialist’s responsibilities include supporting multiple aspects of the delivery of graduate-level live, online, and blended courses. In addition, this individual fosters and maintains relationships with faculty and subject-matter experts, consultants, and others involved in the course development, launch, and maintenance processes. One key aspect of this position is to keep the needs of the academic team in the forefront by ensuring the delivery of a quality course for a seamless student experience. This role works closely with the leadership team, subject-matter experts, faculty, and others involved in the course development and delivery process. It reports to the Senior Director of Instructional Design.
Design and Preparation of Courses
- At the direction of faculty or leadership, analyze course materials, input queries for missing information, and edit materials (including PowerPoint slides) as needed
- Copy course materials using Canvas, working closely with the Instructional Designer on the delivery and building of directions pages, assignments, syllabus, grading, and other course components to standard specifications
- Adjust course parameters (calendar, pre- and postwork, other Learning Management System [LMS] features)
- Create and upload Rundowns and Sketchboard instructional PDFs
- Create student slides from completed instructor slides
- Add polls and short answers in the uCommons portal
- Implement translated materials by uploading the student slides and translation glossary and editing the Directions pages
Maintenance and Support of Courses
- Review content and Canvas requirements as a quality assurance step before Live Lecture, including assignments and calendar entries; make changes as needed
- Coordinate with Live Lecture team on schedule changes and any content items that would impact lecture (presentations, exams, videos, snow, etc.)
- Collect and report data
- Support recording and launching asynchronous, recorded classes
- Virtually attend and record Live Lectures
- Track and engage issues during Live Lecture in the Live Lecture Support chat channel and during debriefs
- Coordinate with instructors between lessons and make any needed changes to their course content, materials, and schedule
- Coordinate an manage vendors, contractors, and employees who provide support services listed above
- Proven track record of working in instructional design and educational organizations that support multiple universities
- Direct experience working with graduate and undergraduate faculty
- Experience working with international colleagues and supporting international course delivery
- High-level technical understanding of course development and delivery technologies including Canvas and Zoom
- Previous experience working directly with university- and third party-based instructional designers
- Previous experience building and maintaining online courses in an LMS, including course copying
- Experience directing others in task-oriented positions
- Willingness to work during early morning hours (e.g., 6 a.m.) for active participation
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required – Identity, Education, Criminal
Shorelight Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.