Shorelight Education — Chief Financial Officer
Shorelight is reinventing the international education experience for students worldwide. Based in Boston, the company works directly with top-ranked, nonprofit American universities to build innovative programs and high-touch, technology-driven services that help talented students thrive and become global citizens.
A key member of the executive management team, the CFO collaborates closely with Shorelight’s CEO and the senior leadership team. He or she serves as a key business partner to both the CEO and the organization. In partnership with senior leadership and external stakeholders, the CFO leads and scales the company as it continues to grow, delivering insights and analytics, and working collaboratively with universities, investors, and external partners. The CFO requires a strong external presence and a strategic mindset. This position reports directly to the CEO.
- Partner closely with Shorelight’s CEO and other leadership team members, providing insight and counsel relative to all areas of strategic planning, growth, financial and risk management.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the finance function, including accounting, reporting, forecasting, budgeting, financial planning and analysis, and corporate development, both domestically and abroad.
- Through the use of financial reporting and management, provide superior leadership to the organization, creating full transparency and visibility in all areas of the business.
- Establish a strong relationship with Shorelight’s financially sophisticated investor base and the Board of Directors. Communicate all relevant financial matters and issues in a timely manner to senior management and investor base.
- Manage the company’s relationship with external auditors.
- Implement and oversee internal audit and financial compliance functions in the US and abroad.
- Manage the company’s relationship with the Compensation Committee and the Audit and Risk Committee.
- Lead Shorelight in embracing the use of metrics, templates, and benchmarks to help operating units understand each of their function’s productivity and drive engagement.
- Develop and direct strategic business and operational plans, projects, programs, and systems.
- Encourage creativity and innovation, while assuring Finance meets its commitments to the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or quantitative field required
- 15+ years’ experience in the finance field
- Experience in a growing business with a complex and evolving global business model
- Demonstrable experience partnering with company CEO and senior leadership as well as a successful track record of developing talent within the financial function and the broader company
- A positive outlook and enthusiasm for the company’s mission
- Experience working effectively with external constituencies, such as investors, bankers, external audit and consulting firms
- The ability to help define the future of Shorelight’s potential market expansion, identifying areas for investment and growth
- Proven experience as a strategic thinker, including instances where they have revised strategy as necessary and proposed new directions for the business linked to an evolving marketplace
- The ability to enable higher performance by furthering the analytical and commercial capabilities and insights of the financial function
- A proactive mindset, with examples of how they have continually evaluated and improved processes in the past and implemented best-in-class solutions, such as metrics, dashboards and analytical finance
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- A history of setting up forums or practices to reinforce independent and open communication among team members, encouraging self-awareness and leading the team to complement the strengths and weaknesses of other people
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree, C.F.A., and/or C.P.A. preferred
- CFO or Deputy CFO experience with a publicly traded company strongly preferred
- Familiarity with the concept of unit economics
Shorelight has engaged Korn Ferry to assist with this search. If you would like to be considered for the position, please send your resume and cover letter to Eric Liao (Eric.S.Liao@kornferry.com) and Lorraine Hack (Lorraine.Hack@kornferry.com).
Background Check Required–Education, Criminal, Identity, Credit
Shorelight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.