Ole Miss International — Managing DirectorOxford, Mississippi
One hundred seventy years after opening its doors as the state’s flagship university, the University of Mississippi (UM) is a growing, vibrant research institution that offers nationally ranked academic and research programs. The state’s first public university to shelter a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the university attracts promising young scholars with a litany of outstanding programs, including the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College. Ranked among the nation’s top public research universities by several measures, the University of Mississippi is home to more than 30 research centers and is designated an R1: Research Universities (highest research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. For eight consecutive years, UM has been recognized as one of the best colleges in the nation to work for by the Chronicle of Higher Education. UM is committed to increasing the diversity of the university. UM was named the state’s healthiest workplace among all Mississippi colleges and universities and offers wellness programs. UM’s main campus is located in Oxford, in the rolling hills of north Mississippi 70 miles south of Memphis, Tennessee. A city of approximately 23,000 residents, Oxford is a vibrant university town with unique shops and galleries, eclectic restaurants, and historic landmarks.
The Managing Director (MD) develops and leads all aspects of first-year programs for international students enrolled in Ole Miss International. The MD’s primary responsibility is to ensure a high-quality experience for all students. As the leader of the campus team, the MD builds the partnership, manages relationships with senior members of university and Shorelight staff, provides strategic and ongoing leadership, and oversees day-to-day operations.
The Managing Director is a skilled manager who can successfully lead an innovative educational venture. He or she is committed to quality and to the specialized attention and guidance that international students require. The MD displays an entrepreneurial spirit, leading and inspiring others to do the same, and displays good judgment in all decisions relating to program operations. He or she is an excellent communicator and skilled strategic thinker with the capacity to see the big picture and attend to details. The MD is a strong team player who can enthuse and galvanize colleagues around the institution’s mission, vision, and goals.
Campus Fiscal Operations
- Assume overall P&L responsibility, including budget management
- Contribute to financial planning and analysis to support strategic plan
- Lead new product development and optimization to support revenue growth and margin improvement
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
- Liaise with key contacts at the university and Shorelight partners to set enrollment targets and oversee the matriculation/onboarding of new students initially and onward through the student lifecycle
- Foster external relationships and partnerships to enhance the profile and success of the program
- Represent the program internationally and domestically, including participation in marketing events and familiarization tours and through memberships and affiliations
- Ensure that the program retains students and guides, prepares, and motivates them to degree completion
- Develop the strategy and programs required to deliver exemplary and differentiated customer service
- Ensure academic integrity and compliance
- Ensure systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
- Analyze data and reports on the progress of the program and achievement of objectives
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years’ experience in management with strong team motivational skills
- Demonstrated P&L responsibility
- Proven ability to recruit, lead, motivate, coach, develop, and retain top academic and/or administrative staff
- Record of leadership delivering strategic, financial, and operational objectives
- Exhibit a combination of insight, transparency, fairness, and commitment to the institution
- Understanding of student support services for international students
- Experience within higher education circles and academic leaders
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree
- Experience working within a joint venture and/or a highly matrixed organizational structure
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Ole Miss International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.