Mercer Global- Student Services DirectorAtlanta, Georgia
Mercer Global is a partnership between Mercer University and Shorelight. The mission of Mercer Global is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into the campus community, and provide support that will increase their academic success and likelihood to earn a degree from Mercer University.
The Student Services Director (SSD) develops and leads all aspects of student services for international students enrolled in Mercer Global programs and reports to the Managing Director. The main responsibility of the role is to design and implement a strategic plan to support Mercer Global students’ academic engagement, social integration, and cross-cultural development in their new academic and social environment.
The SSD is a skilled team player who successfully develops support services catered to international students. The SSD is an experienced leader with an innovative approach to analysis, data- driven decision making, and problem solving. The SSD must leverage data and analysis to drive a strategic, high- impact student services organization in alignment with Mercer Global objectives. The SSD also possesses heightened interpersonal and customer service skills, and leverages these skills to develop strategic relationships and work closely with university leaders and a range of administrators, partners, students, and parents. The SSD has a passion to deliver a high level of service to the students, and understand the holistic overlay of the academic, social, cultural, and emotional needs in the student lifecycle.
- In partnership with Managing Director, Academic Director and Shorelight leadership, develop programs that guide, prepare, and motivate students toward degree completion
- Manage all Mercer Global student services, including student housing and dining, pre-arrival communication, arrival support services such as airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, events calendar, coordination with university cultural associations, coordination of a student ambassador program and peer advising infrastructure, progression, matriculation, and the overall student experience
- Maximize student retention and progression through active student participation in the program’s events, holistic advising, and tutoring as well as encouraging engagement in university events and clubs/organizations to foster a sense of belonging
- Support Managing Director in the rollout of new program initiatives
- Other projects as assigned by the Managing Director
- Supervise a team of Student Services Advisors (SSAs) responsible for holistic advising, student customer service, and program execution with a clear focus on student retention
- Recruit, guide, and develop academic and administrative staff including talent management activities such as goal setting, performance reviews, ongoing feedback, and development planning
- Liaise with and create mutually beneficial, scalable relationships with key contacts at the university, including the Managing Director, Academic Director, International Student Services, Campus Housing, Dining Services, Student Development & Enrollment Services, Office of Student Involvement, Office of the Registrar, and various other departments
- Foster external relations and partnerships that continually enhance the reputation and success of Mercer Global
- Liaise with partnership Academic staff regularly to ensure effective and efficient processes to support student success such as tutoring structures, advising structures, students of concern communication and protocols etc.
Data and Technology
- Ensure that systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
- Leverage data and analysis to continually assess student success and satisfaction in order to create the best possible experience for students
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-5 years’ experience in higher education or hospitality
- 2+ years’ experience working with students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Hands-on approach to academic delivery, customer service, and business growth
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership, flexibility, interpersonal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Complex problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities with heightened sense of accountability and ownership of all things related to students
- Strategic and tactical planning expertise
- Proven people and budget management skills
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as needed
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree
- Experience coordinating international student support services or leading customer experience programs
- Experience in program evaluation and assessment
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Experience planning and organizing events
- Experience working with class management tools and systems
- Knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic or Hindi
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Background Check Required—Education, Criminal, Identity
Mercer Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.