International Accelerator Program at American University — Student Services & Career AdvisorWashington, District Of Columbia
The International Accelerator Program is a partnership between American University and Shorelight Education. The mission of the International Accelerator Program (IAP) is to immerse international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
The Student Services & Career Advisor will help to develop and support student service programs and provide career advisement for international students in the IAP. Primary responsibilities for these individuals include delivering high-quality extracurricular support experiences for program students, as well as academic support, guidance and mentoring. Essential duties also include conducting one-on-one career coaching sessions; leading workshops, career-related courses, and other career-related events. The Advisor will assist with the management of the Career Accelerator initiative and work closely with university partners to introduce students to internship opportunities. Reporting to the Student Services Director (SSD) Advisors collaborate on organizing key elements of holistic support for international students, assisting with new student orientation, facilitating accommodations and airport transfers for incoming students, and providing academic support and acculturation services for students.
Advisors are energetic team players who can successfully execute support services tailored to newly admitted international graduate students. A main responsibility of this function will be to work with partner leadership teams to ensure all concepts and details for the Career Accelerator and subsequent internship practices are agreed upon. Advisors must be committed to quality, have excellent customer service skills, as well as the ability to focus their attention on individual students.
- Provide exceptional student services beginning with pre-arrival processes and orientation, including airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, weekly events, acculturation into the university, and management of the overall student experience
- Teach a 1-credit first-year transitions course on Professional Development for newly enrolled Masters Accelerator Program students.
- Deliver exceptional customer service in areas of housing, airport arrival, program orientation, and all student advising and support services
- Assist in the design and implementation of incoming and ongoing orientation programs
- Assist in the socialization/acculturation programming for all students
- Help coordinate academic student satisfaction surveys and associated analyses, with an eye toward strategic planning of future retention activities
- Contribute to student services operations ensuring policies, systems, and procedures are followed and assist in creating new processes
- Maintain accurate records and reporting for cohort of students
- Participate in student services events (e.g., airport arrival days, orientation, graduation), student activities, familiarization tours, and through relevant memberships and affiliations
- Take overall responsibility for assisting students to obtain internship opportunities
- Assist in the development and promotion of activities for student retention
- Assist students in navigating the career development, planning, and implementation process by leading students through the Career Accelerator program
- Design, present, and/or coordinate career-related workshops as needed
- Ensure student preparedness for participation in educational internships
- Lead information sessions and opt-in processing for the Career Accelerator
- Coordinate with American University Career Center to:
- Conduct Career Exploration Series events
- Track participation and contact of students
- Conduct Progress and Coaching Sessions
- Secure new internship opportunities both locally and nationally
- Manage Career Accelerator materials:
- Student profiles and advising forms
- Track student participation
- Develop marketing materials such as student success stories and blogs to promote to current and prospective students
- Audit Career Accelerator website pages to ensure current and accurate content
- Bachelor’s degree required but Master’s Degree in psychology, education, career counseling or a related discipline preferred
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Results focus and strong management skills
- Demonstrated exceptional presentation and negotiation skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities
- One year of teaching, training, or group facilitation experience with ESL teaching experience desired
- Experience in career services and experiential education strongly preferred
- Organizational and long-range planning skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high energy level
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs and databases
- Knowledge of student services within a higher education setting preferred
- Strong working knowledge of one or more of the following languages: Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese; proficiency preferred
- Evening and weekend work is periodically required
- Eligible to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
International Accelerator Program at American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.