FIU Global First Year — Director of AdmissionsMiami, Florida
The Global First Year is a partnership between Florida International University (FIU) and Shorelight Education. The Global First Year combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their FIU degrees.
The Director, Admissions manages international student admissions at FIU Global First Year. Reporting to the Managing Director, with a secondary reporting to the Director of Admissions Operations in Shorelight’s Central Admissions office, the Director of Admissions serves as the primary liaison with the FIU Admissions and International Student and Scholar Services offices. This position requires a self-directed individual with excellent problem-solving, communication, and detail-orientation skills.
- In concert with central admissions operations, coordinate all aspects of the application flow for Global First Year applicants
- Serve as primary relationship manager of critical university personnel, including Vice President of Enrollment Management, Dean of Graduate Admissions, Primary Designated School Official, Registrar, and Bursar
- Chair the Marketing and Enrollment Services Committee
- Lead annual evaluation of LER’s (Localized Entry Requirements) and acceptable credentials
- Identify opportunities to streamline process and oversee ongoing implementation of international best practice
- Develop, document, and communicate local campus policies related to admissions and enrollment management
- Coordinate data and file transfer into the university Student Information System (SIS)
- Create and provide reports on admissions pipeline flow to the Managing Director
- Coordinate communications with Shorelight representatives and agents post-application deposit
- Oversee I-20 packaging and delivery, including management of Global First Year Admissions staff and/or student workers involved in the process
- Liaise with the International Students and Scholar Services staff as needed
- Manage the evaluation, course mapping, and articulation of all transferable credits for students applying to the Global First Year
- Serve as primary relationship manager to all graduate department chairs running a Masters Accelerator Program (MAP).
- Oversee new application case escalation to the appropriate academic or faculty personnel
- Perform other duties as directed by the Managing Director and the Shorelight Director of Admissions
- Master’s degree in international education-related field preferred
- 5+ years of experience with international student transcript evaluation
- 5+ years of experience in international admissions-graduate admissions strongly preferred
- Knowledge of international student services within a higher education setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of international student transcript evaluation
- Experience leading and managing an effective admissions team
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and leading process
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent ability to communicate with people from a wide variety of cultures and linguistic backgrounds
- Exemplary customer service, presentation, and public speaking skills
- Ability to foster collaboration and trust, work collegially, and inspire others to high levels of performance
- Ability to think independently, thoroughly, and critically in fast-paced contexts
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders from local, national, and international constituencies
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Experience with student data management and/or application systems, including Banner, Salesforce, Synapsis, or other related CRM systems
- Experience living in another cultural context and/or fluency in a second language preferred
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
FIU Global First Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer.