Adelphi International — Events and Special Projects CoordinatorGarden City, New York
The Adelphi International Accelerator Program is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight Education. In support of the University’s strategic plan goal of bringing the world to USA and ADU to the world, the mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at Adelphi.
The Events and Special Projects Coordinator (ESPC) leads Adelphi International’s efforts in planning Orientation, Familiarization Tours, Short-term exchanges, and large-scale campus cultural programs for international students enrolled in the International Accelerator Program. Reporting to the Managing Director, the ESPC coordinates the operational components of events such as room reservations, catering and transportation needs, student reservations, and the ordering of program supplies. Additional responsibilities include developing and maintaining relationships with university personnel, community and student leaders. The ESPC will coordinate special projects, events, and other administrative tasks as needed.
The successful candidate must be a skilled team player who can successfully coordinate large-scale events for students and the community. The main responsibility of this role is to ensure the delivery of a high-quality programs and experiences for all students. The ESPC must demonstrate a strong commitment to the details of event planning with a focus on meeting the needs of international students. He or she must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Work closely with Student Services Director and Student Services Team to facilitate planning and execution of the orientations per year
- Create accurate records for recap of Orientation to improve the process for future intakes
- Continue relations with university departments to strategize efficient processes during Orientation, including immigration processing, catering, reserving rooms, etc.
- Manage and delegate, in conjunction with the Student Services Director and Assistant Managing Director, the assignments for executing Orientation including but not limited to transportation, meals, venue and classroom booking, permits, university department presentations, airport customer service relations, cultural adjustment programming, and rules, regulations and policy discussions
- Work closely with Student Services to schedule housing, linen packs, and supply needs before orientation
- Develop and retain relationships with student organizations on campus that will provide a cultural opportunity to AUI students
- Coordinate efforts to support the community through student/staff volunteering and donations
- Plan large programming events, in conjunction with Student Services staff and others, including co-sponsoring campus-wide cultural events, social and cultural programs, residence hall programs for domestic and international students, etc. at both AUI’s Garden City and Manhattan locations, and the Oakdale partnership with Amity University
- Plan and execute any additional projects that will impact the overall experience of an AUI student or contribute to the success of AUI as determined by the Assistant Managing Director or Managing Director of Adelphi International
- Plan and organize the Amity 3C annual short-term exchange program
- Administrative tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to manage a large volume of work and data
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time-management skills to maintain accurate data
- Strong understanding of student needs
- Display flexibility and hands-on, proactive approach to problem solving
- Team player
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Exemplary customer service skills and professionalism
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking skills
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Ability to work in a diverse environment that requires cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high energy level
- Demonstrated hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience with LMS and CRM software is preferred
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Adelphi International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.