Adelphi International — Associate Student Services DirectorGarden City, New York
The International Accelerator Program (IAP), known as Adelphi International, is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into the campus community, and provide the support that increases their academic success and likelihood in obtaining an Adelphi degree.
The Associate Student Services Director (ASSD) supports all aspects of student services for the international students enrolled in Adelphi International (in Garden City and Manhattan) programs and reports to the Student Services Director (SSD). The main responsibility of this role is to implement a strategic plan that supports students’ academic engagement, social integration and cross-cultural development in their new academic and social environment.
The successful candidate is a skilled team player who successfully implements support services catered to international students. The ASSD will be an experienced manager with an innovative approach to analysis, data-driven decision making, and problem-solving. The ASSD also possesses strong interpersonal and customer service skills and leverages those skills to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, university administrators, students and parents. The ASSD should have a passion to deliver a high level of service to the students, and understand the holistic overlay of the academic, social, and emotional needs in the student life-cycle. This position will be based in Manhattan with a weekly presence in Garden City.
- Prioritize a focus on student retention and programs that guide, prepare, and motivate students toward degree completion
- Coordinate with the SSD to supervise and develop a team of Student Services Advisors (SSAs) responsible for holistic advising, student customer service, and program execution
- Lead the Student Services Operations in the Manhattan Center and directly supervise the Student Services Advisor(s) based in Manhattan. Lead the SSA team in delivering key service components of the student experience, including student housing and dining, pre-arrival communication, arrival support services such as airport transfers, orientation programming, on-going student services support, events calendar, coordination with university cultural associations, coordination of a student ambassador program and peer advising infrastructure, progression, matriculation, and the overall student experience; provide support to the SSA team in areas needed
- Coordinate with the SSD in facilitating student surveys and monitoring student survey results
- At all times, deliver exceptional customer service as part of the Signature Student Experiences; lead on and off-campus events (where applicable)
- Commit to organizational improvement by identifying opportunities to improve; contribute to student services operations to ensure that systems and procedures are followed and technology is used to streamline systems and procedures; assist in the creation of new processes
- Handle special student cases, including students experiencing significant personal and academic difficulties
- Collaborate with the SSD and the Academic Team (Academic Director, Assistant Academic Director and Academic Coordinator) on data collection and analysis and provide required data and information to internal and external stakeholders, with an eye toward the strategic planning of future retention activities and creating the best possible experience for students
- Collaborate with key contacts at the university, including the Managing Director (MD), SSD, AD, International Student Services, Campus Housing, Dining Services, Student Development & Enrollment Services, Office of Student Involvement, Student Affairs, Student Conduct, Counseling Services, Office of the Registrar, and various other departments
- Teach first-year seminar course (if applicable)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- 3+ years experience in education or hospitality preferred; experience working with international students or customers in an administrative or academic capacity desired
- A hands-on approach to academic delivery customer service, and business growth
- Demonstrated leadership, flexibility, and interpersonal communication skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and creative thinkingabilities
- Experience in program evaluation and assessment
- Experience planning and organizing events
- Proven people management and customer service skills
- A truly international outlook, with the ability to work in a diverse environment and to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Understanding of class management tools, including databases, Microsoft Office programs, and forms of social media to connect international students to support services, programming, and other students
- A team player, an independent worker, a strategic thinker who possesses a “can-do” attitude and has the willingness to go above and beyond
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Adelphi International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.