Adelphi International — Assistant Managing DirectorGarden City, New York
Adelphi International (AUI) is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight Education. The mission of the International Accelerator Program (IAP) is to immerse international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
Designed to help international students integrate into campus life and provide the support that increases their academic successes in the U.S. higher education system, Adelphi Manhattan represents one of two campuses in the AUI program (the other being Adelphi University’s main campus in Garden City, New York).
The Assistant Managing Director (AMD) reports to the Managing Director (MD) of AUI and is responsible for providing strategic and ongoing leadership of Adelphi International with special attention paid to satellite campuses.
The successful candidate must be a skilled leader and manager who can assist in leading an innovative educational collaboration. The primary responsibility of this individual is to work closely with the MD to ensure the delivery of a high-quality experience for the program’s international students by providing specialized attention and guidance, as well as ensuring the smooth operation and fiscal stability of the program. Along with the MD, the AMD will be a visible campus leader and advocate for the IAP.
The AMD will lead and inspire, displaying a strong operational entrepreneurial spirit to start this new program. The individual in this role must be a strategic thinker with the capacity to see the big picture while also attending to details including personnel and budget. The AMD must be skilled at creating a team and will enthuse and galvanize colleagues around the institution’s mission, vision, and goals.
Program Management and Development
- Manage operations, including ensuring systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
- Oversee the outcomes of specific administrative departments as determined by the MD
- In coordination with the MD, serve as a leader for the Adelphi Manhattan and additional satellite campuses as necessary to ensure that the program retains students, and guides, prepares, and motivates them to program completion
- Collaborate with the Academic Director on curricular and academic matters
- In collaboration with the MD, sign and approve program documents and payroll
- Develop and maintain dashboards and statistics regarding Adelphi Manhattan activities and programs; manage data to identify trends and opportunities
- Lead special projects and initiatives, including familiarization tours, visits by recruitment teams and special guests, and cosponsored campus programs
- Ensure that the program adheres to the policies and standards of the university and continuously improves the program
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required by the MD, which might include administrative, management, and technical tasks as well as working on special task forces
- Meet with students as needed to address their needs, enforce policies, and guide them to appropriate resources
- Collaborate with the Student Services Director on student affairs and development
- Manage student survey participation and feedback in partnership with student services support team
- Ensure student experience is shared through social media outlets, program promotion, and other marketing efforts in coordination with Shorelight marketing team
- Oversee program staff to ensure quality of student programs and services, including the coordination of pre-arrival activities, orientation, cultural/social programming, and weekly advisory meetings to ensure successful social and academic outcomes
- Recruit, develop, and retain team members to ensure productivity and engagement
- Engage in talent management activities such as goal setting, performance evaluations, stay interviews, development planning, and ongoing feedback to develop team members and achieve organization goals
- Provide coaching, counseling, and corrective action (when necessary) to team members
- Foster a culture that reflects Shorelight’s values
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years’ experience in higher education management or management in a complex organization required
- Evidence of strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to multitask and attend to details required
- Experience working with international students in an administrative or academic capacity
- Understanding of student support services for international students
- Strategic thinker with excellent problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities
- Record of profit and loss experience
- Record of leadership delivering strategic, financial, and operational objectives
- Demonstrated experience working successfully with a non-native English-speaking clientele
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Ability to network within higher education circles and garner respect among academic leaders
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and exhibit cross-cultural competence and understanding
- Experience working within an educational collaboration and/or a complex organization
- High energy level and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on approach to customer service and business growth and diligent work ethic, as evidenced through the interview process
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
- Master’s degree with a background in business administration
- TESOL certification
- International travel/study experience
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
As standard procedure for all new hires, this position is subject to a satisfactory reference check and background check, which includes criminal, sex offender, employment, and education verification, and may also include credit check.
International Accelerator at Adelphi University is an Equal Opportunity Employer