Utah Global — Managing DirectorSalt Lake City, Utah
Utah Global is a partnership between the University of Utah (Utah) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at Utah.
The Managing Director (MD) develops and leads accelerator programs for international students. The MD’s primary responsibility is to ensure a high-quality experience for all students in this specialized academic program. As the most senior member of the staff, the MD builds the partnership, provides strategic and ongoing leadership, and oversees day-to-day operations.
The successful candidate is a skilled manager who can successfully lead an innovative educational venture. The MD is committed to quality and to the specialized attention and guidance that international students require. The MD displays an entrepreneurial spirit to start this new venture, leading and inspiring others to do the same. He or she is a good strategic thinker with the capacity to see the big picture and attend to details. The MD must be a strong team player who can enthuse and galvanize colleagues around the institution’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Work closely with Utah and Shorelight to manage operations, programs, and services, including finance, marketing, real estate, staff recruitment, and student services
- Ensure that the program retains students, and guides, prepares, and motivates them to degree completion
- Manage a team of direct reports including the academic, admissions, and student services functions
- Manage operations, including ensuring systems and procedures are established and followed to maintain accurate records and reporting on all aspects of the program
- Assume overall P&L responsibility, including budget management
- Build and hire initial staff for the partnership; hire staff as partnership growth dictates
- Recruit, guide, and develop academic and administrative staff
- Liaise with key contacts at the university, the board of directors, and equity partners to set enrollment targets and oversee the matriculation/onboarding of new students initially and onwards through the student lifecycle
- Analyze data and reports on the progress of the program and achievement of objectives
- Foster external relationships and partnerships to enhance the profile and success of the program
- Ensure that the program adheres to the high standards of the university and continuously improves
- Represent the program internationally and domestically, including participation in marketing events and familiarization tours and through memberships and affiliations
- Ensure academic integrity and compliance
- Display good judgment and common sense in all decisions relating to program operations
- Advanced degree required
- Minimum of seven years of experience in management with strong team motivational skills
- Demonstrated P&L responsibility
- Proven ability to recruit, lead, motivate, coach, develop, and retain top academic and administrative staff
- Record of leadership delivering strategic, financial, and operational objectives
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to multitask and be attentive to details
- Exhibit a combination of insight, transparency, fairness, and commitment to the institution
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with international students in a higher education setting
- Ability to network within higher education circles and command respect among academic leaders
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities
- Proven customer service skills
- Tact, patience, and diplomacy, particularly with non-native English speakers
- A truly international outlook, with the ability to work in a diverse environment and to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- High energy level and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Experience working within a joint venture and/or a highly matrixed organizational structure preferred
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
About the University of Utah
The University of Utah, located in Salt Lake City in the foothills of the Wasatch Range, is the flagship institution of higher learning in Utah. Founded in 1850, it serves more than 32,000 students from across the United States and the world. With more than 100 major subjects at the undergraduate level and more than 90 major fields of study at the graduate level, including law and medicine, the university prepares students to live and compete in the global workplace. Learn more about all the U has to offer at utah.edu.
About Shorelight Education
Shorelight Education is reinventing the international education experience for both students and universities. In partnership with leading U.S. institutions, we build innovative degree programs—whether on campus or cloud-based, in the U.S. or students’ home countries—that help students thrive and create a new generation of successful, globally-minded alumni.
Utah Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.