USC IAP — Career Accelerator AdvisorColumbia, South Carolina
The University of South Carolina International Accelerator Program (USC IAP) is a partnership between the University of South Carolina and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
The Career Accelerator Advisor (CAA) works directly with students in career preparation and professional development activities. Reporting to the Career Accelerator Program Manager, the CAA conducts one-on-one career coaching appointments; teaches educational workshops, presentations, and career-related courses; coordinates career outreach programs and events; and works on special projects that address the career development needs of USC IAP students.
Successful candidates are skilled team players who successfully take ownership and remain accountable for career coaching, advising, and program development, including collaboration with IAP staff and the USC Career Center to integrate with existing academic, student support, and career activities.
- Assist students in navigating the career development, planning, and implementation process by leading them through the Undergraduate Career Accelerator program
- Design, present, and/or coordinate career-related workshops and classroom presentations with enthusiasm and creativity
- Conduct one-on-one progress and coaching sessions
- Work to continuously improve the Career Accelerator program experience
- Exercise discreet and independent judgment while working with confidential and sensitive student information during the career orientation, program adoption, and career coaching process
- Inspire change in students through instruction and guidance on how to reflect on previous experiences, make career-related decisions, and help increase career-related self-efficacy
- Liaise with all areas of the USC Career Center to include career development, experiential education, employer relations, and operations, ensuring that existing services are leveraged and integrated
- Coordinate with the USC Career Center to:
- Conduct career exploration and experiential education activities such as job shadowing, externships, etc.
- Track participation of and contact with students
- Manage Career Accelerator program materials including but not limited to:
- Salesforce student profiles
- Advising forms and progression trackers
- Appointment and workshop attendance
- Collaborate with Career Accelerator Program Manager, recommending additional workshops, presentations, and tools that might enhance the student experience and learning journey
- Connect and maintain open channels of communication with campus leadership teams, key university-partner staff, and Shorelight Education colleagues
- Lead information sessions and opt-in processing for the Career Accelerator program
- Ensure student preparedness for participation in career planning and major decision making
- Bachelor’s degree with educational preparation in education, counseling, human resources, cross-cultural psychology, global studies, or related area
- One year of teaching, training, or group facilitation experience
- Experience working with international students and ability to exhibit cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Technical aptitude and experience with spreadsheets and/or databases
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, oral communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- High energy level, confident and optimistic demeanor, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Organizational and long-range planning skills with the ability to handle numerous details
- Excellent time management, project management, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Results focus and strong management skills with the flexibility to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to publicly represent Shorelight and partner institutions at events and seminars
- Problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities
- Hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Eligibility to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter*.
*A cover letter is required for this position.
USC IAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.