University of the Pacific International — Student Services AdvisorStockton, California
UOP International is a partnership between the University of the Pacific (UOP) and Shorelight Education. The mission of the program is to immerse first-year international students (graduate and undergraduate) in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood of obtaining their degrees at UOP.
Student Services Advisors (SSAs) help develop and support student service programs for international students in the program. The UOP program combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation. Reporting to the Student Services Director (SSD), SSAs are responsible for collaborating with the SSD on organizing key elements of holistic support for international students, facilitating accommodations and airport transfers for in-coming students, and providing academic support and acculturation services for students.
Successful candidates are energetic team players who can successfully execute support services tailored to newly admitted international undergraduate students. The primary responsibility of these individuals is to deliver high-quality extracurricular support experiences for program students, as well as academic support, guidance, and mentoring. SSAs must be committed to quality, have excellent customer service skills, and have the ability to focus their attention on individual students as they are guided through the program. Selected candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and possess the interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, and university administration.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provide exceptional student services beginning with pre-arrival processes and orientation including airport transfers, orientation programming, on-going student services support, weekly events, acculturation into the university, and management of the overall student experience
- Contribute to the design and delivery of services that provide a strong foundation for the students’ university experience
- Deliver exceptional customer service in areas of housing, airport arrival, program orientation, and all student advising and support services
- Ensure that the program retains students, and guides, prepares, and motivates them to a successful undergraduate experience and ultimate degree completion
- Develop key relationships with UOP in the areas of, but not limited to, International Students Office, Student Affairs, tutoring, student clubs and extracurricular activities, and other programs
- Contribute to Facebook and social media for new students
- Assist in development and promotion of activities for student retention
- Assist in the design and implementation of incoming and ongoing orientation programs
- Assist in the socialization/acculturation programming for all students
- Promote good relations with staff, recruiters, institutions, and students
- Help coordinate academic student satisfaction surveys and associated analyses, with an eye toward strategic planning of future retention activities
- Contribute to student services operations ensuring policies, systems, and procedures are followed, and assist in creating new processes
- Maintain accurate records and reporting for cohort of students
- Participate in student services events (airport arrival days, orientation, graduation), student activities, familiarization tours, and through relevant memberships and affiliations
- Demonstrate sound judgment and common sense in all decisions
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity toward students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking skills
- Experience working successfully with non-native English speakers
- Ability to work in a diverse environment that requires cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high energy level
- Demonstrated hands-on approach to customer service and business growth
- Diligent work ethic
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs and databases
- Knowledge of student services within a higher education setting preferred
- Proficiency with Mandarin Chinese preferred
- Evening and weekend work is required
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
University of the Pacific International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.