Adelphi International — ESL TutorsGarden City, New York
Adelphi International (AUI) is a partnership between Adelphi University and Shorelight Education. The mission of the International Accelerator Program is to immerse international students in the academic and cultural life of the university, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the support that increases their academic successes and likelihood in obtaining their degrees.
Adelphi International seeks year-round English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors for international students in the International Accelerator Program (IAP). Reporting to the Associate Academic Director, ESL tutors are responsible for supporting students with their listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar skills at all levels in a university-based, intensive ESL program.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations
- Tutor international students enrolled in the IAP by providing additional listening, speaking, reading, and writing support, with a focus on academic language development
- Develop relevant and appropriate tutoring sessions using effective teaching strategies to meet the
- individual needs of students with the guidance of AUI’s academic team
- Provide teaching coverage in the absence of other colleagues
- Act as a positive ambassador for Adelphi International and Adelphi University
- Participate in staff development and professional training as required
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
- Master’s degree in TESOL (or currently enrolled in degree program) or closely related field, such as (but not limited to) Applied Linguistics or Adult Education preferred
- Demonstrable knowledge of applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language-teaching
- methodologies, assessment, and curriculum/lesson planning; TEFL certifications (CELTA, DELTA, Bridge, or Oxford) are a plus
- Additional specialization in the Humanities or STEM highly desired
- Strong command of English language
- Overseas experience or experience teaching in multicultural/multilingual classrooms desired
- Exceptional communication skills and dynamic, charismatic personality
- Competence in a foreign language preferred
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
Hourly rate, determined on experience
To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight “Join the Team” page on the website to submit an application with a resume and cover letter.
Adelphi International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.